Sunday, October 08, 2006

Queer People of Faith Be Free!

This is an Op-Ed I am considering submitting to our local LGBT mag (The Windy City Times). I originally wrote it during our Public Theology retreat weekend and have re-worked it based on suggestions from the class. I am open to more suggestions.

Queer People of Faith Be Free!

What do you believe about yourself? Do you believe that you have the freedom to worship any God you chose? We are privileged to live in a country where this freedom - the freedom of religion - is unquestioned. Or do we?

For far too long conservatives have told us that we are immoral and need to repent of our perversity. And for far to long we have been ashamed of ourselves and of each other. This shaming has incited us to hide our faith from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community and to hide our sexual orientation and gender identity from our faith communities. We live in anonymity and isolation. I encourage us to say NO MORE!

Queer people of faith show yourselves! We are the community who can unite sexuality and spirituality. For far too long sexuality and spirituality have cited irreconcilable differences and parted ways. Today brave queer people of faith, of all faiths, are reclaiming the freedom to be open about who they are as whole people. As long as we allow others to define us we will remain fragmented, isolated and ashamed.

People of faith who are queer please stand up. I would like to meet you. I would like to fight for our freedom with you.

1 comment:

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

I am trying to go beyond the Christian faith with my "any God" statement. Being created in God's image is, I think anyway, a Christian concept. Should I say, "worship God any way we choose."?