Monday, January 17, 2011

A Letter to Rev King

Dr Rev King,

Today in the United States we are celebrating you. It is a national holiday. I am grateful that as a country we recognize the contributions you made toward equality for African Americans. I also appreciate that you are quoted widely as having said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” For many of us, you are our champion, our teacher, and our inspiration.

Don’t get me wrong, you are still hated by many. People of colour are deemed less than white people by too many white people. Well, even if it was only by one white person that would be too many. I wish I could report to you that bigotry, prejudice, and hate was a thing of the past. I can’t. There is still hate and oppression and violence. Systemic oppression – invisible to or ignored by most of the perpetrators – wields a heavy hand in every city, office, church, and family no matter how intentional we are to create a free and equal environment. I’m sure there are lots of folks who will get angry that I wrote that to you, but from my experience it is true.

Yesterday I went to the movies. I don’t go very often and I don’t keep up with what is playing at the cinema. One of the previews was for an upcoming show call “Cowboys and Aliens.” It disturbed me. The preview wasn’t very long, but the show seems to be about Cowboys being the normal people and Aliens being the non-normal people. The Aliens are a threat to the Cowboys. The storyline says, “these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known.” Why is it, Rev King, that those in power relegate some people to the category of monster when what they know is being challenged? Why is it that movies are so often made to depict those who challenge the status quo as being vicious, manipulative, and scary? Is power that fragile?

There is still so much work to be done. Your leadership was crucial and I thank you for being so courageous. I have to admit that I’m not sure I have the same courage or tenacity that you possessed. There are times when I wonder if I can continue to go forward in my work. As a Christian typically I look to Jesus for my inspiration, but I want you to know that often I look to you as well. Just like Jesus, you did not cower when you were told to sit down and be quiet. Just like Jesus, you did not retreat when the opposing side advanced. Just like Jesus, you did not hide when you were threatened. As I live and work and love, I look to you as an example of how to follow Jesus, the one that I call Christ.

Thank you … for everything.

No comments: