Wednesday, December 01, 2010

World AIDS Day

Today while in the chapel during the noontime World AIDS Day prayer gathering I spent a lot of time thinking about and praying about consciousness. I called forth from within me a consciousness about the pandemic of AIDS and I spiritually sought out others who are conscious. I also prayed that the many who are not conscious will become so. I shaped my consciousness like velcro - sticky and seeking its mate.

What does it mean to be conscious and how does this have anything to do with how I understand my Divine Beloved or Jesus?

Consciousness has to do with being awake. There are many teachings in the Bible that have to do with not falling asleep or remaining alert. As I consider these teachings it occurs to me that altogether too often it is easy to fall asleep or to slip into an unconscious or subconscious state. It takes work to stay awake ... alert ... conscious. It takes diligence and some amount of skill. I am not that best at this and fall asleep all too often.

Today as I sat as still as I can make myself (I am a wiggler) and as I focused on those loved ones who had AIDS and have died as well as those who have AIDS and are still fighting, it seemed clear to me that much of the work that I do has to do with waking people up and with connecting to those who are conscious. As I tell stories, my own and those of others, I am connecting to the consciousness of those listening and trying to wake up those who are still asleep.

Our collaborative energy, awareness, and voices will bring about change. We can't keep hitting the snooze button, we must all wake up, work together, and love each other.

No comments: