Monday, May 11, 2009

Look at me, Mom!

THE TEXT
Wisdom of Solomon 7:1 - 14
1 I also am mortal, like everyone else, a descendant of the first-formed child of earth; and in the womb of a mother I was molded into flesh, 2 within the period of ten months, compacted with blood, from the seed of a man and the pleasure of marriage. 3 And when I was born, I began to breathe the common air, and fell upon the kindred earth; my first sound was a cry, as is true of all. 4 I was nursed with care in swaddling cloths. 5 For no king has had a different beginning of existence; 6 there is for all one entrance into life, and one way out. 7 Therefore I prayed, and understanding was given me; I called on God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me. 8 I preferred her to scepters and thrones, and I accounted wealth as nothing in comparison with her. 9 Neither did I liken to her any priceless gem, because all gold is but a little sand in her sight, and silver will be accounted as clay before her. 10 I loved her more than health and beauty, and I chose to have her rather than light, because her radiance never ceases. 11 All good things came to me along with her, and in her hands uncounted wealth. 12 I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom leads them; but I did not know that she was their mother. 13 I learned without guile and I impart without grudging; I do not hide her wealth, 14 for it is an unfailing treasure for mortals; those who get it obtain friendship with God, commended for the gifts that come from instruction.


THE REFLECTION
Look at me, Mom!

First I want to point out that this story of birth is an ideal story. It is not always from "the pleasure of marriage" that a child is born. We are not all "nursed with care in swaddling clothes." But what is universal is that "there is for all one entrance into life, and one way out." At least at this point in time, the noble and the nobody are molded into flesh in a womb and have to exit that first home through a passage that includes blood, fear, pain, and hopefully great joy.

Typically, we name the person who gives birth to a child, mother. There are exceptions. For instance, women who have not given birth, but instead adopt children are called mother. Sometimes transmen give birth and prefer to be called, father. And certainly there are men who are gifted in the art and skill of mothering. Today is a day to honor and celebrate all those who identify as mother.

We have many images for mother. Earth first comes to mind. She is our mother according to the creation story because we are made from the earth - scooped up and molded by the hand of Spirit who then becomes our Father as we are animated by the breath of the Divine.

Another image for mother is Sophia, or Wisdom. In the passage we read, the author likens wisdom to be the mother of all good things. She is who you seek and honor. Nothing is more important than wisdom, and everything proceeds from wisdom.

Proverbs 3:13 – 20 says:
"Happy are those who find wisdom, and those who get understanding, for her income is better than silver, and her revenue better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her; those who hold her fast are called happy. The Lord by wisdom founded the earth; by understanding established the heavens; by knowledge the deeps broke open, and the clouds drop down the dew."

Earth is our mother. Wisdom is our mother. I'm not sure what happened to God the Father. It looks like we are born from a lesbian couple.

It's interesting to me that truth is not what is touted as what we should seek. Truth is not the mother that the author of the book of Wisdom proclaims. There is not Book of Truth that I know of, canonical or deuterocanonical. Wisdom is what is honored. Wisdom is what is valued. Wisdom is what gives birth to all creation and to all good things. She is the tree of life. We are to follow her, learn from her, and love her more than anyone or anything.

I remember as a little kid watching my mom and trying to duplicate her every move. I wanted her to be proud of me. I wanted her to notice how well I learned from her. When she sat, I would cross my legs like her and position my hands just so. When we were at church I would listen closely to the way she sang and try to match her. I wanted her to see me and to approve of me. I would call out to her, "Look at me, Mom" when I was playing and I hoped she watched me as I mimicked her every move and breath. It was a lot of work to pay such close attention to her. It was a lot of work for her too. Sometimes I didn't get all the rewards I thought I would get and sometimes I didn't get it right. We were, after all, a human child and a human mom – animated with The Divine, but not always acting like it.

There were times I would shout out, "Look at me, Mom" and I would begin a trick or skill and check to see if she was looking. If her head seemed the least bit turned I would scold her, "You're not looking!" and she would usually say, "Yes I am. Go ahead. I'm watching." Yeah, I was one of those kids. But you see, she was more precious to me than toys. She was more desirable to me than Vernor's Ginger Ale. Nothing compared with her.

As I grew, and I realized that my mother's walk felt funny to me and her hand gestures were no longer how I wanted to gesture, I still knew that she was someone to watch and to mimic.

Eventually I took the turn that most kids take and tried to do the exact opposite of her ... but how did I know what the opposite was? It was from all those years of watching and mimicking.

Kids want to bond with their Moms. It's a hard thing on Dads, I'm told. And sometimes it's a hard thing on Moms too. There's so much pressure.

As the children of Wisdom, I believe it is in our nature to want to bond with our mother. When we are young we soak up every little thing that she has to offer. Kids learn fast and much more easily than adults. Often though, during adolescence we go the way of most kids and try to become anything like our mother. Sometimes we get distracted by the pursuit of truth or power. But it is wisdom that is calling us. It is wisdom who is the most precious and beautiful. It is to wisdom that we should shout out, "Look at me! Look at me!" as we proudly display our skills of kindness and love.

Today, along with wishing all of the human mothers here a happy mother's day, I want to wish a happy mother's day to our Divine Mother, Wisdom. I want to remind us to pursue her with all our strength. She is more valuable than 401k's and jewelry. She is more costly than Platinum and stronger than Kevlar. She is more beautiful than whatever or whoever you see as beautiful. She is the one to watch and to mimic. From her flows the bounties of all good things. Don't be shy and don't be ashamed to call out to her, "Look at me. Watch me. I love you."

2 comments:

Katie K said...

Wow! This is wonderful, AnnMarie. Lots to muse about. I love the idea of being born of a lesbian couple! Yes!

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

Hi Katie! Thanks!!