Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ferron Writing Workshop

Over the weekend I went to The Gathering, which is the yearly, well, gathering of the Brethren Mennonite Council for LGBT Interests. I had a great time.

One of the workshop leaders was Ferron. She performed some of her songs for us Friday night and then on Saturday she lead a writing workshop.

I wrote this poem there.

Ghost of the Fire

I watch them make a ring
Sitting on the stones
Laying on each other
Taking off their shoes

I watch them in the ring
Playing their guitars
Singing many songs
Tapping tambourines

I watch them in the ring
Laughing at jokes
Cuddling real close
Whispering secrets

I watch them in the ring
Warmed by the fire
Comforted by the magic
Crackling of the fire

I watch them in the ring
Leaving for their homes
Filled with the night
Walking from the fire

I am alone
Memories of the music
Tingling with their energy
Tending to the fire

I bring the sand
Pouring it on the fire
Noticing the ashes
Causing sparks to fly

I am the one
Summoning the night
Calling forth the dark
Releasing the sacred ghost

I stay behind
Dancing with the smoke
Embrace the sacred ghost
The ghost of the fire

2 comments:

folkmew said...

Wow! You got to take a writing workshop with Ferron!!??
(which reminds me that I don't think I ever did send her a copy of "Current Obsessions" because I'm such a wuss)

I am so glad to see you are writing. That's a really interesting poem and some of the images are startling and beautiful!
Sending love your way.

AnnMarie Kneebone said...

I knew you would dig that. You should send her a copy. She's very cool. I only got to spend several hours of one day with her ... and that with 20 other people, but from that I think I can say she would appreciate hearing your version of her song.

I'm glad you like the poem. It was a wonderful experience to write it. I was sitting on a tire swing - the kind that is held up by 3 chains and the tire is horizontal to the ground. I just sat there swaying and letting the images come to me. It was great.

Sending love back to you. And tons of hugs.