Thursday, May 28, 2015

Post Surgery

My life took a sharp turn recently when my appendix ruptured. We had hoped for a simple laparoscopic procedure but ended up with major surgery. I had a wonderful team at the hospital. My surgeon is a delightful combination of talent, skill and compassion. Everything went well but the recovery simply takes time. For instance, no scooter riding for at least six weeks!

I have received cards, soup, flowers, stuffed animals, prayers and lots of love during this time. I appreciate it all so much. I know that I am not alone. It means so much to me.

When I was first out of surgery I noticed something remarkable. With my body weak and in pain; with doctors and nurses telling me how lucky I was to have gotten surgery in time; and with my physical weakness right out in the open for everyone to see; with all of that being true, my spirit was as strong as ever. 

Sometimes we are tempted to equate our strength with how our body feels or if our emotions are on the upside. Don’t take the bait. It is by the strength of our spirits that we can manage the difficulties in life. In times like these I remember Proverbs 18:14 “The human spirit will endure sickness; but a broken spirit — who can bear?”

When all else is falling down around you let God’s Pentecost Spirit and your spirit weave together to make a hammock where you can rest and regain your strength. Be patient with your recovery. Challenge yourself periodically to see how strong you are getting and then rest some more. Swing in that hammock with purpose and receive God’s love.

Peace
Pastor AnnMarie
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome words as always! Thank you for sharing, I needed it.

pastorann said...

Blessings on your continued healing - and thanks for your Spirit-filled words!