Friday, December 26, 2008

In Which I Wonder About Being Alive

I am ... what I can only describe as ... stoned. Stoned on dashed white lines, ice, rain, fog, and rock-n-roll.

When I was a teenager, one of my favorite things was to drive in the fog. Not just to drive in it, but to drive fast. I would drive 80 ... 90 mph through the fog of rural Michigan. It was a thrill. It was a thrill that I lived through time and time again. It wasn't the only thrill. My fast fog driving is indicative of the types of thrills I sought out. How did I live?

Tonight, as I drove through the fog on the icy roads covered with water while listening to music, I realized that I had no interest in driving fast. I had no interest in driving at all, but drive I did ... most of the day, finally getting home to Chicago around 9pm. Usually this is a 6 hour drive. I was passed by many cars. I also saw many cars in the median; some turned on their sides or upside-down. How did I live as a teen?

The music and the dashed white lines of the highway kept me in a mindful trance. I spent my weekend with family. We discussed Escher, suffrage for white women, suffrage for blacks, the meaning of eternity, and quality of life vs climbing the ladder of "success." I love the conversations that I get to have with my family. Not just the adult members of the family, but the kids too. However, as I drove today, I did not let myself rehearse what we said and think even deeper about it. Mostly, I was grateful to be alive to have the conversations. I prayed to be allowed to have more. It looks like my prayers have been answered, once again.

To all that is sacred and holy, I extend my heartfelt thanks. This includes all the people who sent up requests for my safety - those requests are holy and sacred. I did not have even one tragic incident.

Below is an example of the music I listened to.










2 comments:

CoolApple said...

I was sharing that time with you and didn't know it! And I am also thankful to be safe, alive and warm. In addition to thanking those who prayed for my safe journey I have to thank the reference librarians at my work who told me which freeways were open when!

Unknown said...

Yes, grateful. Also.